Tuesday, September 7, 2010

DC75: "Marvel Meets Mr. Mind" (Captain Marvel Adventures #26, 1943)



I strive for diversity in these posts, but find myself routinely stymied by a lack of ready reference material. I've searched the internet and found some though, and since Robby Reed at Dial B For Blog did such a fine job on this entry already in his 142nd edition, I'll let him explain it...

At 24 issues, it was the longest Golden Age story ever told, and also one of the whackiest and wildest. Captain Marvel versus the Monster Society of Evil, a group composed of Cap's entire rogue's gallery and then some. The physical appearance of the Society's leader, Mr. Mind, was not revealed until almost a year into the story -- causing a sensation that fans still remember to this day! Because Mr. Mind was far from a typical evil mastermind, the revelation of his identity was nothing less than SHOCKING! You see, reader, Mr. Mind was actually...

...a super intelligent mutant alien worm that wore glasses and spoke through a speaker box around his neck!

Check out more highlights from the past 75 years of DC Comics at The Truly Most Memorable Moments of the DC Dodranscentennial

2 comments:

LissBirds said...

It was certainly news to me that Golden Age stories lasted more than two consecutive issues. Nor did I know Mr. Mind, who was such a big deal in 52, was THAT old.

Diabolu Frank said...

I'd love to read Monster Society of Evil, but the period racism has kept it out of print since the '70s, and I've never been able to get ahold of that tome.