Friday, August 20, 2010

DC75: OKAY HOT-SHOT, OKAY! I'M POURING! (G.I. Combat #94, 1962)



While there's nothing wrong with a Haunted Tank story drawn by Russ Heath, what really makes this moment the highlight of Jeb Stuart's career was its unauthorized appropriation by Roy Lichtenstein. The pop artist heavily referenced this panel and another from All-American Men of War #89 to create "Okay, Hot-Shot," an internationally recognized if controversial modern art work.

Check out more highlights from the past 75 years of DC Comics at The Truly Most Memorable Moments of the DC Dodranscentennial

2 comments:

LissBirds said...

Huh. I never knew Licthenstein lifted things directly. I always thought they were original. So...he made a career just copying panels from comic books, making them bigger, and got rich and famous doing this? Why can't I think of ideas like this?

I shall never understand modern art.

Diabolu Frank said...

I'll have to do "Drowning Girl" next. Even the caption was near identical.