Wednesday, January 12, 2011

1995 Skybox DC Villains: The Dark Judgment (unknown) Trading Card #89



As I've mentioned many times before, the card backs for this set all had commentary text in the voice of a malignant figure. The first card in the set was simply titled DC VILLAINS, with the art incorporating the words "Dark Judgment." The back of that first card read:

I treasure the villain! To my mind, all the so-called heroes would be nothing without him... or her. Countless are the malcontents and outcasts whom the self-righteous would call villains. Some are merely misunderstood, others truly evil. Any or all of them might be of use to me. Who am I? See if you can guess...

Before the checklist, a final card was devoted to (unknown), a silhouetted figure in a tailored trench coat commanding unnatural flames around himself. That card text read...


Now, I must ask... have you guessed my name? Do you know what I have planned? You should, you know... The clues are there... It's all been spelled out for you. Still in the dark? Then know this... My plan will be revealed in the days and weeks to come... and my influence will be felt by villain and hero alike!

You'll note the enlarged first letters in each block of text. Taken from each card and with punctuation added, the cards spell out...

I... There are many names by which I am known, and I shall shake the universe to its very foundations. Call me NERON.

Pretty neat lead-in to Underworld Unleashed, don't you think? The text was written by Roger Stern, and the featured card art by Joe Devito.

Relishing New Year's Evil this week? Find more malicious pin-up fun at the following blogs:

2 comments:

Tom Hartley said...

So I guess Rumpelstiltskin had already appeared in a Marvel crossover thingy?

Diabolu Frank said...

Mephisto certainly had, and aside for the forgotten Lovecraftian elements amidst the Faustian ones, a rogue by any other name smells of brimstone.